Announced on the same day as GSA’s Anderson School Student Forum, Chancellor Block tells us about his new plan to make UCLA “self-sustainable.” This means:
– cuts across the board (majors, departments, whatever, it all goes on the chopping block, except executive salaries and bonuses!)
– expand non-resident enrollment and increase total enrollment (stuff more students from other states and countries into those classrooms, but make sure to cut TAs while you’re at it!)
– increase philanthropy (throw out the welcome mat to BP, US military, Rand, big pharmaceutical, etc.!)
– Expand UCLA Extension and online courses (online courses = easy money since ZERO teaching is required!)
– Intellectual property (in Block’s words, “Finding innovative ways to profit from research” that pretty much says it all. Research for PROFIT, NOT FOR PEOPLE!)
Read the full article here.